St. Peter the Apostle supports families in the preparation for the Sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist, and Confirmation through prayer, supportive instruction during religion classes, and offering experiences of these Sacraments once they are received.
Jesus said: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; . . . he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and . . . abides in me, and I in him” -Jn 6:51, 54, 56
First Penance and First Holy Communion 2015/16:
The celebration of First Eucharist is a special time in the faith life of a child. Therefore, it is most important that children are prepared properly to better understand the importance of the Eucharist in our lives. The children prepare for this sacrament by participating in Religious Education through CCD or Catholic school. The preparations begin in first grade. First Holy Communion is received in the second grade.
- First Penance/Communion Parent Meeting: Sunday, September 20, 2015. Beginning with 9am Mass.
- First Penance: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:30 p.m
- First Communion Retreat: TBA. This is a great chance for the children to enjoy each other as we help them to prepare for the importance of the Sacrament of First Holy Communion.
- First Communion Practice: TBA. Church attire is appropriate.
- Sacrament of First Holy Communion: Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. Individual Pictures will be taken at 8:30 a.m. and the group photo will be taken at 9:00 a.m. Children should arrive no later than 8:45 a.m.
Attendance of Confirmation Boot Camp, 4 sessions on Sunday evenings: (Aug. 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2015)
Confirmation is fast approaching. As we prepare for this special sacrament, I would like to make sure everyone is aware of the expectations.
* Students should have been working on their 25 hours of community service and forms must be turned in by November 1, 2015.
* Confirmation exit interviews with Priest, for candidate and parents are October 14th and 17th. Linda Wilharm in the parish office (912-897-5156) has the schedule. Parents, you must call to schedule this appointment.
* Confirmation Candidates are required to type a letter to the Bishop and a letter to our Priests. Due October 7, 2015
*Bishop Hartmayer is requesting that candidates write a letter to him requesting the Sacrament of Confirmation (to be done in class).
*The Priests of our parish would like them to write a letter titled “What Confirmation Means to Me” (to be done in class).
* The candidates are working on their Faith Assessments in class and are progressing wonderfully.
* Students should have chosen a Saint by now and a project assignment will be given out soon. It is recommended that they choose the Saint they were named for, if possible, but also one they wish to emulate. I have exposed them to many different Saints, so this should not be difficult.
*Confirmation practice will take place on Monday November 9, 2015. We are asking the candidate to arrive at 4:30 and the sponsor at 5:00. Confirmation sponsors need to be a practicing Catholic over the age of 16. A parent cannot be a sponsor.
*Confirmation will take place on November 11, 2015 at 6:00p.m. Candidates should arrive at 5:00p.m. for a group picture and meeting with the Bishop.